Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Shed


Greetings from Sperryville, Virginia. It’s lush and moist here in the hollow where I am staying with my friend, Ann Georgia. And Bella, Gracie, and Leo (the art dog). When I am lucky enough to stay here I get to sleep in “The Shed”. This is a charming little building made of old wood, white washed inside, with a tin roof. So when there is rain, like we have been having off and on, it sounds like a deluge even if it’s a shower. I love it. There’s a little bed, a small chest of drawers, a little round table, and a couple of small chairs. Kind of like a cushy nun’s cell now that I think of it. I sleep with the windows and door open to the sounds and the wind. Last night I saw some fire flies. Reminds me of my childhood.
We spent my first day here looking at the wonderful “gleanings from nature” that Ann is going to offer at her table at the vendor’s sale at Art & Soul in Hampton, Virginia next week. She has amazing treasures; bugs, bones, fungus, turtle shells, butterfly wings, seeds, pods, feathers, nests and various parts and pieces like leaves lying around. Oh, and we went to the “free dump” and found among other things some big shirts for using as paint smocks and a weirdly virginal gown that Ann will probably turn into something even more weird and wonderful.
So...I am out in the barn working on some samples for my Bevy of Books class next week at Art & Soul in Hampton, Virginia. All my workshops are full, which is wonderful and affirming. Ann will be helping me in one and my daughter, Christine, will be assisting me in the other two. Life is very, very good indeed.

2 comments:

Monkey Mind said...

Beautiful shed! I've been trying to get my partner to build me a potting shed. I'll have to show him this for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Irene said...

We are on the road, and waiting anxiously for the class.